We use our own cookies and third-party cookies in order to improve our services, display videos, publish on social networks, obtain statistics and offer personalized advertising. By browsing or using AlhambraDeGranada.org, we understand you accept our cookies policy.
Share this
Home / Virtual tour / Towers and higher Alhambra

Rauda Tower

The Rauda Tower (Torre de la Rauda) stands behind the Palace of the Lions (Palacio de los Leones), to which it connected through a door. It was thought during quite a long time that this was the place where the Kings of Granada were buried. However, the cemetery was found outside the palace, more to the south, so that the Rauda must have been its main entrance or the entrance to the original palace. 

The tower started to be called like the gardens ("rawda") that surround the building of the royal cemetery, which is located behind the Patio of the Lions (Patio de los Leones) and it is separated from it by a moat. 

The first remains of the tower to be found date from the same period as the Arms Tower (Torre de las Armas). These remains were discovered in 1887, when the construction added to the palace of the Harem was demolished. It was then studied between 1925 and 1926. Only the lower part of its walls remains, with fragments of tiles.

Share this
Share this

Hotels in Granada

Best price guaranteed

Booking.com

Follow us

© Área25 IT S.C.A 2019 - Web design & Hosting - All rights reserved
InSpain.orgFlamenco.oneFotosAlhambra.es