Close

We use our own cookies and third-party cookies in order to improve our services, display videos, publish on social networks, obtain statistics and offer personalized advertising. By browsing or using AlhambraDeGranada.org, we understand you accept our cookies policy.
Share this
Home / Virtual tour / Nasrid Palaces

Patio of the Gilded Room

This small patio between the Mexuar and the Gilded Room (Cuarto Dorado) connects both palaces. During the Christian period, wooden galleries (kept until the 19th century) connected the higher chambers. The fountain in the centre of the patio is an exact copy (made in 1943) of the original piece, which is nowadays in the Daraxa's Gardens (Jardines de Daraxa).

Mohammed V constructed a façade on the southern side of this Patio. On the façade there are two identical gates with lintels, tiles on a ceramic skirting board and plasterwork decoration. Above it are two twin windows with canted festoon and a smaller one in the middle, surrounded by inscriptions from the Koran. The whole wall is beautifully decorated with ornaments and inscriptions, including the motto «Only God is Victor». One of the poems by Ibn Zamrak is tattooed on the frieze made of carved wood, as in other parts of the Nasrid palaces. 

The left door of this façade leads to a hall decorated with plasterwork with a frieze of mocarabes and the interlacing ceiling was painted during the reign of the Catholic Monarchs with an inscription that refers to the taking of the city of Granada.

Share this
Share this

Hotels in Granada

Follow us

Follow us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterFollow us on Google+Follow us on Instagram
© Área25 IT S.C.A 2017 - Web design & Hosting - All rights reserved
InSpain.orgFlamenco.oneFotosAlhambra.es