We use our own cookies and third-party cookies in order to improve our services, display videos, publish on social networks, obtain statistics and offer personalized advertising. By browsing or using AlhambraDeGranada.org, we understand you accept our cookies policy.
Share this
Home / Virtual tour / Charles V Palace and surrounding areas

Square of the Cisterns

The Square of the Cisterns (Plaza de los Aljibes) received this name because of the cisterns that were built by Count of Tendilla in 1494 in the gully between the Alcazaba and the palaces. These cisterns, 34 meters long, 6 meters wide and 8 meters high, later became the current square, when they were buried as well as the surrounding streets and squares. The square forms a vast esplanade between the towers and the defences of the Alhambra on one side and the Wine Gate (Puerta del Vino), the Arabic palaces and the Charles V Palace (Palacio de Carlos V) on the other side. From the square visitors may enjoy marvellous sights of the city, the Albaicin and the Sacromonte.

The medieval square was found in 1955 excavations.

Share this
Share this

Hotels in Granada

Best price guaranteed

Booking.com

Follow us

© Área25 IT S.C.A 2019 - Web design & Hosting - All rights reserved
InSpain.orgFlamenco.oneFotosAlhambra.es