The Square of the Cisterns (Plaza de los Aljibes) received this name because of the cisterns that were built by Count of Tendilla in 1494 in the gully between the Alcazaba and the palaces. These cisterns, 34 meters long, 6 meters wide and 8 meters high, later became the current square, when they were buried as well as the surrounding streets and squares. The square forms a vast esplanade between the towers and the defences of the Alhambra on one side and the Wine Gate (Puerta del Vino), the Arabic palaces and the Charles V Palace (Palacio de Carlos V) on the other side. From the square visitors may enjoy marvellous sights of the city, the Albaicin and the Sacromonte.
The medieval square was found in 1955 excavations.