The Ladies Tower (Torre de las Damas) is the most important building of those that belonged to the magnates who lived around the Royal Palace
during the Arab period and its decoration is the oldest of the Alhambra. It has received many and different names, depending on who inhabited it, although since the late 18th century it was called the Ladies Tower (Torre de las Damas). At the beginning the building was called "Partal" (which means portico) because of the portico formed by the five arches that often reflect on the rectangular pond.
Until the year 1924, when the tower's restoration was completed, it has gone through many alterations carried out by its inhabitants in order to live there.
It comprises the portico, a square hall and a staircase that leads to a mirador, which was built afterwards and from which it is possible to enjoy the view of the valley of the river Darro
The central arch is the only original of the five. The five arches of the portico rest on marble columns, although they used to be brick pillars.
Paintings of the small Arab houses
To the left of this tower are three small Arab houses that were built after the tower and added to it. Some paintings were found in one of these houses. The paintings are deteriorated and incomplete, but they are of especial interest, as they are the only ones of that specific type within the Muslim period in Spain that have been preserved. They were done during the first half of the 16th century and they represent hunting scenes, imaginary animals, men, women, musicians, singers and a war expedition arriving to camp.